"Good morning class. We have a new student joining us today. His name is Rico Santiago and he just moved here this summer from Atlanta, Georgia." Miss Jackson spoke as she introduced the new student to our class. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him. He had the most smoothest skin I had ever seen. His entire wardrobe was on point. Khaki shorts , red black & white button up plaid shirt , with a black tee underneath that you could see from the collar , and some red , black , and white Jordan's. Probably fusion 4's but I'm not sure. I also focused upon the gold bone chain hanging from his smooth neck and the huge diamond encrusted studs in his earlobes. Damn, this boy must be paid.
"Okay Rico , take a seat next to Miss Gonzalez please and we can get started with today's lesson." Miss Jackson spoke as she pointed in my direction. My heart instantly began to race , a feeling no other boy has ever had on me. As Rico walked towards me to take his seat I gave him a flirty smile which he returned with a "what's up" and sat down. Damn , this boy smells good.
After class was over I grabbed my things to leave for second hour. But my journey was put on halt when Rico placed his hand gently on my shoulder. His touch sent chills down my spine.
"Um , I'm sorry." He spoke as he withdrew his hand. "I didn't catch your first name Miss Gonzalez." Rico smiled revealing his perfect teeth.
"It's okay. But my name is Aaliyah. Like the beautiful singer." I replied half-way blushing.
"That's what's up. You're pretty beautiful yourself." He smiled again.
"Thanks Rico. But what's your next class? I don't wanna make you late." I replied fully blushing now.
"You're worth it." I could tell he was starting to grow nervous. "But my next class is Trigonometry."
"Welp , Rico. It looks like your in luck. That's my next class also." I said attempting to joke with him. "Wanna walk together?"
"Sure. That's cool with me." Rico responded flashing his movie star smile once again. I'm truly feeling this boy's style and I can tell he's feeling mines too because he can't keep his eyes off me.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Once lunch came around I was starving and I definitely wasn't feeling school's lunch today. I decided me & Sonya should go off campus for lunch but Sonya was nowhere in site.
"What's up A , you should've been in drama today man. Sonya went off on Kaylyn making her cry and shit. It was crazy." Raymond came up to me. He must've known I was waiting since I was standing by my locker.
"Damn , what for?" as if I didn't already know. But I wanted to know if it was more to it. I'm upset I chose today to go to the library , but I was showing Rico around.
"It was something about you. What happened with you and my nigga tony? Did Kaylyn fuck him?"
"Man , I don't wanna talk about that fool. & yeah I guess so homie. But hey it is what it is. They're both dead to me."
"Word? Well ya girl Sonya is in the office , you know how they get when it's bout to be a fight and shit. She might get suspended. The teacher wrote it up as bullying."
"That's crazy. But I'm a holla at you later homie , I'm fenna go out to eat." I responded shutting my locker and getting my keys out my purse.
"Aye pick a nigga up a big mac tho." Raymond called out after me.
"I'll think about it. You lucky if you get a straw my nigga."
"I'll give you the cash. For real I just wanna big mac."
"Alright. Hurry up." I stopped in my tracks and waited for Raymond to catch up.
As I walked across the student parking lot and headed to my car I seen Tony leaning his lanky ass against my car. Hell naa, what this fool want?
"Aaliyah we need to talk."
"Tony ain't no talking , now move out my way before I run yo ass over." I spoke as I unlocked my car door and opened it.
"I said we need to talk girl." Tony said slamming the car door shut.
"What the hell you wanna talk about Tony?" I said growing fed up with this fool. I'm starving and he's wasting my time on bullshit.
"I want a second chance. Girl , I can prove to you I can do better. Forget about them other bitches I want you." as Tony began to give his testimony to me , my eye was caught by Rico across the parking lot walking up to a random car that just pulled up. Rico looked around nervously , as if checking to see if he's being watched by someone. I wonder what he's up to. As he approached the car window, he leaned in to talk to the driver. I couldn't keep my eyes off him.
"Girl , are you listening to me?" I heard Tony say but I wasn't focusing on him. "I said is you listening to me?" Tony spoke again this time grabbing me by my arm forcefully causing me to return my attention back to him.
"Tony get your damn hands off me , before I be the reason you'll never be able to have kids." I threatened him as I looked him dead in the eye. But he wasn't loosening up on his grip.
"You'll do what girl?! Don't forget we reside in the same hood , I can have some bitches at yo front door pronto." Tony spoke as he tightened his grip.
"Tony if you don't let me go...."
"If I don't let you go what?"
"Aye nigga she said "let her go"." I heard Rico's voice call out from behind Tony. Tony turned my arm loose as he turned to face a now angry Rico. I was glad to see Rico come to my rescue but that didn't change the fact of what I just saw him doing.
"Who the fuck is you?" Tony said getting in Rico's face.
"My name is unimportant but I suggest you move along , before you end up in some deep bullshit you won't be able to get out of." Rico spat stepping closer to Tony.
"Man nigga you won't do shit. You must not know who I am." Tony said bumping Rico slightly. Tony is very known around the school as a "hood nigga" and people do fear him. But it's all a facade , the only reason Tony knows how to act so "gangsta" is from the movies his older brothers used to watch with him. I'm more thug than he is. Tony is a rich boy wannabe thug , he's not the real deal. But some kind of way he got all these people here fooled from a one lucky fight he encountered.
"You right nigga I don't , and I don't give a damn. But bump me one mo' time and you gone know who I am." Rico said returning Tony's bump but harder. When Tony realized Rico wasn't backing down from the challenge like most people do , Tony turned to walk away. "We not done talking yet Aaliyah." he said as he eyed me. Then he went inside the building.
"Did he hurt you Aaliyah?" Rico said , his voice was back to the sweet and nice way I heard when we first spoke.
"Yeah kind of. But I'm not worried about him. Thanks for being here for me Rico." I spoke as I stared into his eyes." Rico what was you doing when you walked up to that car earlier?" I asked. If we're ever going to be anything I want him to be truthful with me.
"Oh you seen that?" he responded avoiding the question.
"Yeah I did.." I stared deeper into Rico's eyes , to see through to his heart. Mama taught me how to do that a long time ago. That's how she could always tell when I was lying or not.
"It was just business." he responded looking down.
"What kinda business?" I pressed on begging for more information. But I already knew the outcome.
"Look, how bout I take you out to lunch and we'll discuss it there?" Rico responded smiling. Something tells me this boy means well but is just misguided.
"Okay cool , we can hit up McDonald's. I'm just tryna grab something to go. Since we don't have much longer to be on break." I responded. I left out the part about Raymond's big mac. I felt as though that was irrelevant anyways.
"Okay maa , follow me to my car."
As we walked towards Rico's car I seen Kaylyn and her mother walk out the door and down the stairs into the parking lot. Kaylyn was holding her stomach and crying. Why is she doing so much crying? I know her losing me as a friend didn't have that much effect on her. Just as I was hoping they didn't see me , her mother's eyes caught mines and they began to walk my way.
"Hello Mrs. Edwards." I spoke. I was always told to respect my elders , even if their daughters are grimy bitches.
"Hello A." Kaylyn's mother pulled me in for a hug. I guess she doesn't know about our falling out just yet.
"Kaylyn got suspended for arguing with Sonya. I tried to tell them they had been friends for years and it was probably just a petty argument. But when I noticed the look on Sonya's face it looked deeper than that. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?" Mrs. Edwards questioned me , but my gaze was upon Kaylyn who couldn't pull herself to look at me.
"As a matter of fact I do. But the real situation isn't between Sonya and Kaylyn it's between me & Kaylyn. But since we are all home girls , I mean were all home girls Sonya felt what Kaylyn did was wrong." I said my gaze still upon Kaylyn.
"Oh , what did Kaylyn do?" her mother was obviously oblivious to the ongoing drama between us.
Kaylyn finally looked at me and her eyes begged for me not tell her mother. But I still felt anger towards her , and I decided to let my mouth run like a faucet.
"Kaylyn had sex with my ex-boyfriend Tony behind my back." I replied carefree. Kaylyn began to let fresh tears fall as her mother's mouth fell open and she looked from me to Kaylyn. "Oh Really?"
"Yep." I nodded my head nonchalantly
"Kaylyn bring yo ass on , I got a few words for yo ass. How could you do that to Aaliyah??? Aaliyah it was nice seeing you but me and Kaylyn got some unfinished business." Kaylyn and her mom turned and walked towards her SUV. Kaylyn looked back at me and flashed me an "I hate you" look.
"Nice seeing you too Mrs. Edwards." I grinned before returning to a patiently waiting Rico.
"What was that all about?" Rico asked as he placed his arm around my shoulders. I usually wouldn't allow a boy to do that but Rico was so different plus he smelled so damn good.
"We'll discuss it over lunch." I said as he led me to his car.